Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Matthew 7:13-14

Good morning!

Matthew 7:13-14: Enter through the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the road is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who go through it. How narrow is the gate and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it.



The Lord woke me up at 5:00AM with this Scripture in my head and I've been thinking about it ever since. Jesus is speaking about the Kingdom of Heaven in this chapter and the road it takes to get there. In John 14:6-7, Jesus declares HE is the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Him. If we know Jesus, then we will know His Father too.

So the road that we walk that leads to the gate of Heaven is a picture of our salvation through Jesus Christ.

I very well could have been one of the many that did not find the narrow gate. I looked up narrow in the dictionary to get a better picture of the word. It means a slender width, minutely precise.

I started thinking back to when I was an unbeliever and all the reasons I used to come up with in my mind not to accept Jesus as my Savior. I heard it all but I just couldn't make the decision. It sounded like too much to give up. So I kept walking the broad path of destruction, with all of my junk and issues dragging along with me.

The gate is narrow because the path is only big enough for you to walk it. You can't bring your family along with you if you truly put Jesus first and take up your cross and follow after Him (Matthew 16:24). You won't have room for all the junk and issues because there is freedom and liberty in His salvation (Galatians 5:1).You can't try to be like anyone else because God has a special plan just for  you; this is your journey (Jeremiah 29:11).

God knew it would be difficult to walk the narrow road because of all the road blocks the world throws at us. The Devil desperately wants us to miss the path that leads to that precious narrow gate and instead go along with the masses down the broad path of destruction that is so deceptively decorated with "fun" and "good times". That road is full of the mind set of it's all about me, and how can I make myself feel better and how much more stuff can I get to complete me. That road leads to death.
But once you turn down the narrow path that leads to that gate, your mind set changes to it's all about Him, and how can I bring Him glory, and what can I give to help others in need. That road leads to life.

Think about it...how easy is it to live for yourself, giving in to your fleshly desires, satisfying yourself before anyone else? How difficult is it to set your mind on unearthly ways, think of others before yourself, give first and then save, love your enemies, believe and trust in a hope that others can't see? Living for ourselves brings death and living for Jesus brings life. It may seem like the other way around when you are trying to make the decision on which road to take. I know it did to me 12 years ago. But since I chose the narrow path, I have never looked back. Nothing compares to His love! I found everything I was looking for and needed on that path and I will continue to walk it until it's my time to enter through that gate. To my eternal home.

Stay the course. Don't falter just because the road is narrow. Don't get tripped up by bringing more than you should with you on your journey or trying to be someone you are not. He is all you will ever need and He provides all you need to keep going. The narrow gate that is the entrance to Heaven is calling us all. Be one of the few who finds it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can't wait to hear from you!