Thursday, May 14, 2009

Ephesians 6:16-17

Good morning!

Ephesians 6:16-17: In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.


The first time you have to take your stand against an enemy attacking you at full force is not easy. Your knees may quake in fear, you may swing your sword with your eyes shut, and the first few punches may sting a little. You may have put on the full armor of God but it may feel heavy to you and you may not move well in it at first.

That is when we must remember all the times in the past God has proven Himself faithful. Your faith, your trust in the One who is unseen is a powerful shield that the enemy cannot stand against. You can't stand against a powerful enemy without a shield. It is added in front of your weapons of truth and righteousness so that it can block any flaming arrows that the evil one tries to throw at you.

I am sure it is because I am doing this study this week, but I have been attacked harder than I ever have before. I'll be thinking about one thing and it instantly turns into horrible visions of my children being hurt or dying. How awful is that?! I am so aware now of the fiery darts the enemy is trying to use to pierce my armor but my faith is blocking them from ever hurting me. God has seen me through years of trying to conceive these babies and then 34 weeks and 3 days of carrying them inside me! He has a plan for their lives and no one can convince me otherwise. My faith grows and so does my shield! I want to have one of those shields like in the movie 300. It covers the Spartans whole body and they use it and wield it in an acrobat-like fashion. That is how I want to use my faith against all these images the enemy keeps trying to hit me with. The more I use my shield, the faster I will be with it. My knees will no longer shake, I'll look my enemy in the eye when I strike him and he won't be able to get in the first punches any longer!

The two final pieces to your armor are your helmet and your sword. The helmet holds your salvation and marks you for all eternity as to what side you are on. You are a child of God and knowing that truth will keep your mind clear and on guard. Your helmet will protect you just like your breastplate will from sin. The two areas I sin are in my heart and in my thoughts. The enemy wants to get you to slip in the midst of your battle and get you to sin. He wants you to take off your helmet, just for a second to get a little rest. He wants you to remove your breastplate to catch your breath. Stand firm! Don't let him in! Keep your mind strong and your heart covered.

All the pieces mentioned before, belt, breastplate, readiness for your feet, helmet, and shield are to protect you. But here is what will slay your enemy every time. The sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. Jesus used it to defeat the devil when he tempted him for 40 days. He cannot stand against the infallible Word of God. Hebrews says that the Word of God is active and sharper than any double-edged sword. It is alive for all time and it will always have what you need to defeat your enemy in any circumstance. Study it, memorize it, believe it, and use it!

I will be making sure everyday when I wake that my armor is on, good and tight. I want to be ready when that day of evil comes. Until then, God gives us another command so stay tuned tomorrow to find out what it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Can't wait to hear from you!